What is hypnotherapy?
Hypnotherapy is a form of complementary therapy that utilises the power of positive suggestion to bring about subconscious change to our thoughts, feelings and behaviour.
The process itself aims to alter our state of consciousness in a way that relaxes the conscious part of the mind while simultaneously stimulating and focussing the subconscious part. This heightened state of awareness – reached using skilled relaxation techniques – allows the therapist to then make appropriate suggestions.
When might hypnotherapy be useful?
Hypnotherapy can be used in many areas of your life and below are just a few examples. If you want to make a change in your life then hypnotherapy can help to break cycles associated with most negative feelings, it can also be used for getting rid of weight, smoking cessation,addictions, reduce stress, sleep disorders, relaxation, trauma, anxiety, panic attacks, phobias, confidence, depression and connecting with the past.
Does everyone respond to hypnotherapy?
Hypnosis has the capacity to work for the majority of individuals but some are more susceptible to suggestions than others. The most important thing to remember is that you must be fully committed to the process and feel that you can place your trust in me, your hypnotherapist. It’s also important to keep an open mind, as any scepticism may subconsciously dampen your susceptibility.
What will happen in a hypnotherapy session?
The initial session generally takes an hour and a half, the initial consultation, involves several elements:
- A discussion about your requirements and goals.
- Gathering personal information such as sleeping patterns, lifestyle information, medical symptoms or medication, any treatments involving other healthcare providers.
- An explanation of how the hypnotherapy process will work.
- Practical details such as cost, cancellation policy, how many sessions might be needed.
In the same session or sometimes the subsequent session the practical application of clinical hypnosis can then begin.
- A welcome chat to encourage comfort and relaxation.
- Induction – I will then lead you into a state of deep physical and mental relaxation.
- Once deeply relaxed, we can then begin ‘change work’ using techniques and approaches discussed and agreed to help you towards your goals.
- Once the ‘change work’ is complete, I will begin the transition to wakefulness, in which you are gradually brought out of your hypnotic trance.
- Time for any questions you may have and a summary of the session and any progress made thus far.
How regularly will I see my hypnotherapist?
How regularly you see me will be something we will decide on together. Initially, you may decide you wish to meet on a weekly basis, but depending on improvements and how you feel, you may choose to then see me more or less frequently.
How many sessions of hypnotherapy will I need?
The duration of therapy will really be dependant on your circumstances and the reason for which you are seeking hypnotherapy. If you are seeking hypnotherapy for a one off service such as smoking cessation for example, I will deliver hypnotherapy in a single session of up to two hours. Other issues however, may better suit a longer-term approach with regular weekly sessions. I will let you know how many sessions I feel you might need when you start therapy, and will be flexible when it comes to decreasing or extending the number of sessions to correlate with your progress and needs.
How long will hypnotherapy sessions last?
One off services such as smoking cessation or gastric band hypnotherapy can last around two hours, while a general hypnotherapy session will usually take 50 – 60 minutes.